- Ben Q. Rock of Orlando Pinstriped Post: “The [Orlando] Magic/Heat rivalry has proven fairly one-sided in Orlando’s favor since 2007, but the Heat’s appearance has more to do with their future roster than the one that’s struggled against Orlando in the recent past. Indeed, among the 18 players the Heat have under contract, only Joel Anthony, Mario Chalmers, Udonis Haslem, Jamaal Magloire, and Dwyane Wade have suited up as members of the Heat against Orlando. But in adding LeBron James this summer, Miami has certainly vaulted itself into championship contention, and made its relationship with the Magic more interesting. James’ incredible showing in the 2009 Eastern Conference Finals wasn’t enough to get his Cavaliers over the hump against the Magic, but it did establish him as an individual rival of Orlando’s. And it’s valid to compare him to [Dwight] Howard, insofar as they’re both among the best players in the league who entered it just one year apart.”
- Dan Savage and Josh Cohen of OrlandoMagic.com review Vince Carter‘s restaurant in Daytona Beach. Two thumbs up.
- Grade the Orlando Magic’s off-season.
- Dwight Howard: “How’s ya’ll’s summer going? Mine has been crazy traveling all over the world. I just got back last week from going to India for the NBA and China to shoot a new movie with my man, Carmelo Anthony. I know there has been a lot of talk about Melo getting traded this summer, but trust me ya’ll, we were just shooting a movie together and didn’t even talk ball that much. The movie is called, “Amazing” and will be out next summer, so I hope you guys can check it out!!!”
- Howard is also raising money for the earthquake relief efforts in Haiti.
Wednesday’s Magic Word
I give Orlando's off-season an A+ They upgraded at the point guard position, kept a really good/key role player in JJ Redick and replaced Matt Barnes with a MAJOR offensive upgrade in Quentin Richardson. Although Quentin isn't a hard nose defender like Matt but he's still a respectable defender. They probably would have liked to trade Vince because its still basically the same team that fell short in the conference finals but how many options were REALLY out there to ship Vince out and bring in some one better? (besides Chris Paul and Carmelo who were LONG SHOTS) Ryan Anderson has beefed up and is working on his post defense, they drafted a VERY young big man with A LOT of upside who has time to grow, they have a VERY solid 3rd PG just in case Jameer get's injured again and they have 2 big contracts expiring within the next 2yrs. Which is good for trade bait (Carter & Lewis) Otis has done a great job for long term and short term.