- J.J. Redick has turned some heads with his play early in the season. Chris Broussard of ESPN Insider suggests that Redick could even be an early contender for the Sixth Man of the Year award.
- David Thorpe of ESPN Insider offers a breakdown of rookie Andrew Nicholson: “He has a solid shot from the perimeter. He can put the ball down and drive to the paint before finishing with a soft hook. And he goes to the offensive glass fairly well. Once he locks in on his defensive rebounding role better, his playing time should improve.”
- The Orlando Magic were thrashed by the Minnesota Timberwolves on Wednesday.
- Some Magic players didn’t take too kindly to Joakim Noah trying to win free Big Macs (the Chicago Bulls have to score 100 points or more in a home win) for Bulls fans by attempting a three-pointer in the Magic’s loss against the Bulls on Tuesday. Noah later expressed regret for attempting the shot.
- John Denton of OrlandoMagic.com on Redick’s future with Orlando: “I believe that Redick has a chance to stay with the Magic for the long-term. He wants to be in Orlando, he likes being a mentor for the younger players and he likes his role in Vaughn’s share-the-ball offensive system.”
- Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports with a must-read profile on Magic rookie DeQuan Jones. Here’s a snippet: “Here’s how big of a long shot Jones was in making the team, let alone starting a game for the Magic: He wasn’t invited to any predraft camps, wasn’t listed in the league’s media draft guide and worked out with only three teams. He was the seventh-leading scorer at the University of Miami last season as a senior, light credentials that led to a quiet evening at his parents’ house last June, when he watched the NBA draft and didn’t hear his name called.”