- Ben Golliver of The Point Forward lists head coach Jacque Vaughn as an early contender for Coach of the Year: “Five of Orlando’s wins have come against bottom-dwellers (Pistons, Cavaliers and Suns), so Vaughn isn’t necessarily guaranteed to become the league’s next coaching prodigy, but his early work deserves a bit of early shine.”
- Could Jameer Nelson be on the trade block? Zach Lowe of Grantland thinks so, as he lists Nelson as a name to watch: “The Magic badly missed Nelson’s playmaking during the seven games he was out due to injury, but he’s shooting poorly in the first year of a pricey three-year deal, and he hasn’t lifted Orlando’s offense at all since his return. Nelson’s almost 31, so the market for him won’t be very big even if the Magic try to pair him with J.J. Redick’s expiring deal.”
- In the same link, Lowe also marvels at Arron Afflalo’s stepback jumper.
- Glen Davis has improved his efficiency offensively in recent weeks.
- What did the West Coast road trip for the Orlando Magic teach them? Quite a bit — like maybe it’s time for Andrew Nicholson to have a bigger role in the Magic’s offense.