- David Aldridge of NBA.com selects Nikola Vucevic as his choice for Most Improved Player: “Vucevic gets the nod for doubling his points and rebounds over his rookie season in Philadelphia. Traded south as part of the Dwight Howard-Andrew Bynum-Andre Iguodala four-team deal, Vucevic is second in the league in rebounding (11.9 rpg, behind only Howard) and is shooting 51.7 percent for the otherwise woeful Magic. Vucevic grabbed a season-high 29 boards with 20 points for the Magic against Miami in December, and has 44 double-doubles, tied for third in the league.”
- John Schuhmann of NBA.com on the Orlando Magic: “Believe it or not, after their first 25 games, these Magic were 12-13 and ranked sixth defensively. That was a long time ago and since then, they’ve played (and defended) their way into a guaranteed top-five pick. It will take more than that to get them back to respectability, but this is the path they chose, which is certainly better than having traded for Andrew Bynum (but maybe not Brook Lopez).”
- Tobias Harris and Maurice Harkless have shown flashes of promise in the eyes of ESPN.com’s Marc Stein.
- Harris says that the Magic’s goal next season should be to make the playoffs, but with a loaded 2014 draft coming up, that may not be such a good idea.
- John Denton of OrlandoMagic.com praises Magic fans for coming out and supporting the team in a rebuilding year: “Despite the 20-60 record, Orlando still ranks 15th in the NBA in home attendance at 17,602 fans a night. To put that into perspective, Orlando’s average home attendance is better than that of six teams headed to the playoffs – Atlanta, Brooklyn, Houston, Indiana, Memphis and Milwaukee.”
- Head coach Jacque Vaughn earns a “C+” for the job he’s done coaching this season.
- Sean Highkin of USA TODAY Sports is excited that Orlando will be wearing throwback jerseys for select games next season in honor of the franchise’s 25-year anniversary.